Constitution of India – Fifteen Facts you must know.
- The Constitution of India is the supreme law of India. Dr. B.R Ambedkar is regarded as chief architect.
The Constitution of Indian was originally handwritten in a flowing italic style with beautiful calligraphy by Prem Behari Narain Raizada and artists from Shantiniketan decorated and beautified each page of it.
The original handwritten copies of The constitution of India, written in Hindi and English, are preserved in a special helium-filled cases and kept in the library of the Parliament of India.
- The final draft of the Constitution of India was prepared by Constituent Assembly which first met on 9th December, 1946 and was completed on 26th November 1949 which took precisely 2 years, 11 months and 18 days.
- Articles 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 60, 324, 366, 367, 379, 380, 388, 391, 392, 393 and 394 of the Constitution of India came into force on 26 Nov 1949 and the remaining articles on 26th January 1950.
- The Constitution of India was signed by 284 members of the constituent Assembly which included 15 women and was signed on 24th January 1950.
The day constitution of India was signed, it was raining very heavily outside. The rain was considered by many as a good Omen.
- The Constitution of India was legally enforced on 26th January 1950 and it was specifically selected due to its historically significance. This day was celebrated as Independence day since 1930 aftermath of Purna Swaraj declaration of freedom struggle. Today, 26th January is celebrated as Republic day every year.
Constitution of India is the longest written constitution of any country in the world with 25 parts containing 448 articles and 12 schedules and over 100 amendments.
- The word “secular” and “Socialist” were not the part of the original draft of the Preamble of India. They were inserted in Forty Second Amendment by Indra Gandhi Government and it has been amended only once so far.
The constitution of India is the only constitution which is amended most number of times. It was first amended as early as May 1951 and it was most extensively amended in the Forty Second amended so much so that Forty Second amended is known as the mini constitution.
The Constitution of India takes the best aspects of the other countries’ constitution. The Constituent Assembly took the best bits from constitutions around the world.
The concept of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity is from the French constitutions, the Five-year plans from USSR constitution, the social-economic aspects from the Irish one and Supreme court’s functioning from Japan. And parliament form of Government from England.
The Constitution of India is introduced by the Preamble of India which sets the objects of the Constitution and Preamble of India is the document which was drafted at the very end after the final draft of the Constitution.
The Constitution of India is the only constitution of the world which is subject to Judicial Review. Judicial Review is the concept where Judiciary can review the amendment made by the legislation. Judicial Review of the constitution is no where allowed in the world.
रामो राजमणिः सदा विजयते रामं रमेशं भजे
रामेणाभिहता निशाचरचमूः रामाय तस्मै नमः ।
रामान्नास्ति परायणंपरतरं रामस्य दासोस्म्यहं
रामे चित्तलयस्सदा भवतु मे भो राम मामुद्धर ॥
Enjoyed reading it ? Please share it !