Every one of us must have recited the Gayatri Mantra during the school prayers. We are also familiar with plethora of other mantras like Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, Ganesh Mantra, Shiva Mantra and the list is endless. We all have noticed a common thing in each of these recitations and that is the starting word ‘Om’.
Well! Herein, by the grace of god, we bring to you the magnificent properties of ‘Om’
1. The Sounds of “OM” and its significance.
According to the Mandukya Upanishad, ‘Om’ is a sound comprising of three letters ‘A’, ‘U’, and ‘M’ manifesting the three forms of our gods viz, Brahma, the creator; Vishnu, the maintainer and Shiva, the annihilator respectively. ‘Om’ is composed of a dot on the top which represents the supreme power. Precisely, the sound of ‘Om’ signifies that god is a supreme power for the sustenance of nature.
2. The Symbol of “OM”.
‘Om’, when chanted connects the person with the unmanifested form of god which is divine power with an infinite nature. It also symbolizes that other forms of gods is an illusion to the world while the reality is the unmanifested dot which has tremendous amount of energy to create, replenish and annihilate its creation, the complete Universe.
3. The Meaning of “OM”.
‘Om’ means ‘Brahmand’ or the Universe. Commonly linked with Shakti or power ‘Om’ is considered to have embodied the divine energy characterized by Creation, Preservation and Liberation. ‘Om’ favors the connection between the unmanifested form of the supreme power thus, yielding a divine energy. Thus, ‘Om’ helps in scientifically recreating the energy for the nourishment of the devotee and the environment surrounding the devotee.
4. The Chanting of “OM”.
‘Om’ is chanted to create a relaxed environment. This is because, ‘Om’ contains four syllables. The sound of ‘aww’ is generated for a short period till the solar plexus and chest began to vibrate. Then, for a prolonged period, the sound of ‘ooo’ is generated which creates a strong vibration in upper palate and throat. Ultimately, a sound of ‘mmm’ is produced which initiates the vibrations in thoracic region. The murmuring sound ends in a silence symbolizing that deep silence is necessary for initiation of self-actualization and self-realization.
5. “OM” and the vibration.
It is notable that vibrations of ‘Om‘ are recorded to be at a frequency of 432 hertz which is equivalent to the vibrational frequency of everything present in the world. This proves scientifically that, ‘Om’ is a symbolic representation of the ‘Universe’.
6. “OM” is the beginning of every mantra.
All the mantras begin with ‘Om’. Ever wondered, why? This is because ‘Om’ is a word, a sentence in itself which binds all the other syllables of the mantra. It is considered that ‘Om’ has enough vibrational energy to bind the other syllables together and carry their vibrations in a long prolonged manner so that when those vibrations return to the source, they have multiplied amount of positive energy accompanied with them. The chanting of ‘Om’ yields an enlightening experience which strengthens the devotee to such an extent that person develops enough of self-confidence to face all the challenges and adversities of life.
7. “OM” is the source of energy.
The chanting of ‘Om’ when accompanied with meditation replenishes the innate energy of the person who is meditating. As the sound of ‘Om’ is produced from the thoracic region, the prolonged vibrations are generated till the portion of diaphragm which is enough to refill the body with high amount of energy. This concept can also be related with the process of activating the inactive ‘Kundalini Chakras’ in the human body.
8. “OM” have a tremendous positive effect on the body.
As the chanting of ‘Om’ nourishes the body via the effect of sound energy and vibrations; the scientific studies say that the phenomenon of chanting of ‘Om’ could used to yield a ‘placebo effect’ and help people maintain their blood pressure. It is notable that blood pressure imbalance is quite common with today’s sedentary lifestyle and it is a root cause of numerous problems like, brain hemorrhage, paralysis, and many more. Apart from this, it is also found that ‘Om’ tends to create a calming effect on mind as it calms down the nervous system. Basically, the processes of nervous system slow down while the brain gets enough oxygen to function. This results the brain to regenerate its lost energy and later on, function properly.
According to Vijaya Mishra some are the valuable benefits of the OM Mantra.
- Chanting of the Om Mantra purifies the environment around you and creates positive vibrations.
- The Om not only benefits the person who is chanting it but also to the people around them wherever its vibrations flow.
- It cleanses your aura.
- It can place you in a meditational state which gives you deep relaxation.
- Your concentration increases when you chant this universal hymn.
- The ॐchanting removes toxin from your body. It is said to give you better immunity and self-healing power.
- It improves your concentration and helps you focus on whatever your goals may be.
- The ॐ chanting actually improves your voice by giving strength to your vocal cords and the muscles around it. This is very helpful during old age.
- The ॐ hanting produces a vibration and sound which is felt through your vocal cords and sinuses. The vibrations open up the sinuses to clear the airways.
- The Om Mantra has cardiovascular benefits – by relaxing our mind and body, our blood pressure will decrease and our heart will beat with regular rhythm.
- Through chanting and meditation, you can have better control over your emotions, thus allowing you to see situations with a clear and rational mind.
- Regular chanting of this Mantra will take you on a spiritual journey to greater happiness and positivity, but only if it is done daily for a longer period of time. Mantras are not and overnight fix to your problems – you must have patience and learn the correct techniques.
- When the OM Mantra is chanted in a group, the effects are amplified and this will produce immense positive vibrations which charge up the entire vicinity.
- Some people have also claimed to lose weight through ॐ chanting as it puts your entire body in a heightened state of sensitivity – its vibrations are thought to stimulate your metabolism which would lead to weight loss.
- It has been our experience that Om can even help cleanse your skin. The massive levels of internal positive energy and a cleansed aura that come from chanting the Om Mantra regularly will be reflected externally with a sunny glow on your face and body.
- Your spinal cord is strengthened through the vibrations caused by sound of Aaaa. As this sound is generated from abdomen, it helps to strenthen the supporting muscles of the spinal cord.
- The sound uuu is created by vocal cords which benefit the thyroid glands and the throat.
- It is said that rubbing your hands together while ॐ chanting and putting those charged hands on different parts of body heals or activates those body parts.
- If those energy charged hands are put on your eyes, your eye sight will start improving.
Thus, we find that ‘Om’ has a mystical nature. ‘Om’ is a symbol of oneness that binds the whole universe together via divine energy. It helps to maintain synchronization between the materialism and intellect thus, bringing together the substantial and spiritual aspects of the nature.